Search Community

SplitText.split() and SplitText.revert() changes letter-spacing on safari

TLP test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I believe you may be running across an issue caused by the fact that Apple changed the way it handles kerning by default in the latest OS which unfortunately we can't do anything about. There's simply no way that I know of to effectively counteract that. It's rather disappointing that Apple chose to go that [non-standard] route. I'd suggest looking into ways to prevent Apple's new default special kerning behavior. When I looked into it a while back, I couldn't find a way that actually worked even though you're supposed to be able to change it with a css property. See http://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/t/text-rendering/

EDIT: For what it's worth, it does seem to help (but not completely solve it) if you apply this to your CSS:

-webkit-text-rendering: optimizeSpeed;
text-rendering: optimizeSpeed;
-webkit-transform: translateZ(0);
  • Like 5

Wow, awesome! Thank you.

It's not perfect but it helped alot.

That was my first post here, and i got a huge help.

I'm using your tools, i guess since you started, and it was always a pleasure to work with.

Thanks for your great work.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...