Search Community

how to change a tween without breaking the animation?

hemmoleg test
Moderator Tag

hey,

in essence my problem is as follows: i have an movieclip and a button, if you click the button the mc moves 100px to the left. what i want is: i want to be able to click the button again while the mc is already moving, so the mc would end up 200px to the left. so i think i somwhow need to update the tween on the mc with a differen target position. i konw i could just replace the already running tween but then the animation would look bad since i am using easing for the movement.

how can i update the tween with a new tartget position without screwing the animmation?

thx for the answer. unfortunately it doesnt work as i would like it to. the thing is, for easing i use Quad.easeInOut so when i call updateTo() the mc moves to the right coordinates but the easing (accelerating and decelerating) starts all over again and this is exactly what i meant by "breaking the animation". so what happens is: i click the button, mc starts to accelerate, i click the button again, mc stops and starts to accelerate again. Is there a way to have a smooth transition there?

• 2 years later...

seeking the same as hemmoleg asked quite a few years ago :)

I'm also changing direction (zoom in/out) and the

updateTo does not solve - guess we seek a more physical behavior with deacceleration+acceleration when changing midtween.

It sounds like you are looking for additive animation, which will allow you to blend 2 animations in opposing directions together.

Play with this demo here: http://codepen.io/osublake/pen/PPmJpL/

Very informative post here with some interesting ideas and demos: https://greensock.com/forums/topic/12573-additive-animation/

The good news: decent chance this will be possible in the JS version of GSAP

Bad news: we have no intention of doing anything with the ActionScript tools. The codebase hasn't been touched in a few years as demand is so low.