Search Community

SVG path without snap.js or Bezier?

rgfx test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Diaco,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Do I really have to load another library just to animate along the path. Can carl's stroke animation example be used? http://codepen.io/rgfx/pen/cusav  I have it set to 25% width works great. 

What am trying to do is something like the progressive reveal dots example but have it be responsive. http://codepen.io/GreenSock/details/ABkdL/

And while am at it able to figure out how to animate along a path responsively as well, without another library.

Slowing building up my responsive animation tools, thanks for everybody's help, can't wait to get to production mode.

See the Pen zLiux by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

I'm not really following the question. Not sure what you mean about loading another library. Only GSAP is used for the line-drawing effect. 

I'm still learning some things about SVG myself, but being responsive should be fairly straightforward as they scale really well.

Also, be sure to follow the conversation here: http://greensock.com/forums/topic/10688-challenge-convert-svg-path-to-bezier-anchor-and-control-points/

and look at the demos. 

Using those examples you should be able to use a similar approach to http://codepen.io/GreenSock/details/ABkdL/where you move the object along the tween, get they x/y coordinates and then drop DOM or SVG elements to create dots.

I do not want to animate a stroke, I want to follow a svg path. Your example was the only one that didn't use snap.js or bezier, perhaps its only for animating strokes. I could use bezier but I do not think its responsive, is it?

By library I mean using snap.js or raphael etc, I rather just use gsap. Wondering if its possible. 

Thanks for your time. 

Hi rgfx :)

u can make responsive behavior with css , javascript (media query) or on Win resize conditions , i think this isn't about GSAP
in your case , since bezier use x,y values , it's simplest way that append the dots in a container , not body and change scale of container on win resize .
  • Like 1

Diaco, are you saying that should create different sets of bezier x and y values. I will have to change the scale of the container size using fixed width, not percent? Certainly not ideal.

Append dots to a container works for starting point, but prevents me from filling my container with an effect.  

See the Pen hcniu by rgfx (@rgfx) on CodePen

Here is an example of an responsive svg path using snap.js 

See the Pen vdEbg by mattsince87 (@mattsince87) on CodePen

Was hoping just to use gsap for everything :)

• Solution

Hi again :)

try something like this : 

See the Pen aCKwH by MAW (@MAW) on CodePen

$(window).resize(Resize);
  function Resize() {
    var $window = $(window) ,
        maxWidth  = $('.c').width() ,
        width = $window.width(),
        scale;
    if( width >= maxWidth ) { return } // U can remove this line if you want always container fit to screen 
    TweenMax.set('.c',{scale: Math.min(width/maxWidth),transformOrigin:"0% 0%"});
};
Resize(); 

Hello rgfx, Try this for responsive.. i forked and edited Diaco.AW example.

And nice Job Diaco.AW .. the resize event wasn't firing, looks like you would just need to reverse your logic in your IF condition.

I modified your example, try resizing the browser:

See the Pen umFzc by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

:

// was this
if( width >= maxWidth ) { return }

// change to this
if( maxWidth >= width ) { return }

:

Or you can take all restraints off:

See the Pen oeFfI by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

Hope this helps! :)

Sweet, thanks a lot guys. I am come from design background, truly appreciate you guys helping me, and forgiving my ignorance. I will learn js, how long it will take, who knows. Blasting my way through codecademy.com, anything else you can recommend, specifically to create awesome front-end?