Search Community

Draggable onRelease fires pre-maturely

killroy test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I have following code:

new Draggable($hand, {
 	cursor: 'auto',
 	onPress: function(e) {
  		t0 = Date.now();
  		console.log('handHover.onPress');
 	},
 	onRelease: function(e) {
  		console.log('handHover.onRelease');
  		console.log(Date.now() - t0);
 	}
});

And onRelease fires between 680 and 690 ms after onPress fires. No matter what I do on the screen.

It seems some internal mechanism cancels the touch even after around 700ms. How can I disable this and correctly capture touch events?

Hi,

I see no evidence of this behavior in this example: http://codepen.io/GreenSock/full/IgzKa/that largely uses your code.

Draggable.create(".blue", {
    cursor: 'auto',
  onPress: function(e) {
   t0 = Date.now();
   console.log('handHover.onPress');
    TweenLite.set(this.target, {rotation:45})
  },
  onRelease: function(e) {
   console.log('handHover.onRelease');
   console.log(Date.now() - t0);
    TweenLite.set(this.target, {rotation:0})
  }
})

I tested on desktop with mouse and iPhone 4s with touch.

Both the console logs and rotation are as expected. I do not see onRelease firing prematurely.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem.

Please provide more details or a full example that clearly shows the problem.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Wow, just encountered this again and Googling the issue I only find myself with the same question asked and still unanswered.

I'm currently tracing into the issue. The release originates from this code in Draggable.js (line 1597):

_addListener(_doc, "contextmenu", function(e) {
var p;
for (p in _lookup) {
if (_lookup[p].isPressed) {
_lookup[p].endDrag();
}
}
});

It appears that on windows, this code does not get executed, but somehow on android Chrome it does.

Any ideas?

Can you confirm the issue with latest version of Draggable?

<script src="http://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/1.16.1/utils/Draggable.min.js"></script>

If so, please provide a demo that clearly illustrates the issue. Feel free to fork the one I provided back in October.

And by "windows" do you mean Windows Phone?

Thanks!

Hi,

But windows I mean Chrome on Windows (not ...Phone, just "Windows"... the OS). I am working on an HTML5 game and I am developing it on Windows and am currently testing it on Android.

This code keeps it working for now:

document.addEventListener('contextmenu', function(e) {
e.stopImmediatePropagation();
}, true);

since it disables the rogue GSAP code by pre-empting the contextmenu handler.

It seems pretty obvious to me that you cannot cancel a drag operation on a "long press" event, since long presses are what usually start a drag operation.

I will try the latest Dragable version when I have time.

Why did you link to the CSSPlugin?

The current version 0.13.0 (I was using 0.11.0) still has the offending code at line 1865:

_addListener(_doc, "contextmenu", function(e) {
 var p;
 for (p in _lookup) {
  if (_lookup[p].isPressed) {
   _lookup[p].endDrag();
  }
 }
});

... just confirmed that the same issue persists. Just add some logging there and you'll see that handler firing within a couple of 100ms of pressing the drag-able item.

If I understand correctly, it seems like you may just need to add some CSS to your element(s):

-webkit-touch-callout: none 

I'm not sure it's wise to force that kind of behavior inside Draggable itself because some people may WANT to allow the long-press context menu. The code you referenced in Draggable wasn't a mistake - it specifically addresses cases when the context menu is shown (and thus should stop the dragging). See what I mean? I totally understand why in your use case it'd seem odd to permit that, and you'd expect that Draggable would force the browser to ignore long-presses, but if we do that it could seem unintuitive for some other users in their [different] use cases. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding though. 

• Like 2

Hey, thanks for your replay (and patience).

I agree that default behavior should be adhered to be default. I just am not sure how dragging will ever really work, unless it's a quick swipe action, if after 600ms or so it gets automatically cancelled. Might warrant a mention in the docs.

I will try that CSS and report back tomorrow.

Thanks.

PS: Do you guys show case larger projects using GSAP somewhere? I'm preparing for GDC Europe right now so should have demo-able material pretty soon.

• Like 1

Your previously stated solution still works fine, right? 

document.addEventListener('contextmenu', function(e) {
    e.stopImmediatePropagation();
}, true);

Were you advocating for us removing the functionality that cancels the drag when the contextmenu is shown? I'm just trying to follow through and make sure I understand if this should be considered resolved or if you're looking for something else at this point. 

Oh, and you asked about showcasing larger projects - absolutely. We'd love to see what you're building. Please pass a link along when you're ready!

Well, at the very least document this behavior, since by default your code actively interrupts my code.

Perhaps console.log a statement: "Canceling drag action due to context menu invocation".

The problem is, the code above kills ALL contextmenu events. This works for me as I don't care about these, but ideally I could disable just the GSAP interception of the event and not interfere with other code.