Search Community

"Floating" 5 elements smoothly up and down turns sluggish

mrsam test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Im trying to achieve a smooth repetitive up and down "floating" effect on x amount of elements - each element with it's own id.

After a little while of "floating" the up and down tweening seems to get sluggish. (my real test uses 5 x 100kb images that has been preloaded before tweening)

Im using one function to define the up tweening and another to define the down tweening and then throw each element back and forth these two functions.

Any suggestion on how I can achieve the same effect more efficient and perhaps even in some smarter way without the two functions are very welcome! My bet is there some "bottleneck" there and that I can perhaps do some simple re-usable timeline instead?

Follow the Codepen to see the concept of it

See the Pen vcyhf by mrsgs (@mrsgs) on CodePen

Hello mrsam, and Welcome to the GreenSock Forum!

Are you trying to make your elements animate back and forth in a loop?  If so, you can try the special properties in TweenMaxyoyo and repeat.

Your example with yoyo and repeat:

See the Pen wixFp by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

More info about TweenMax: http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/Animation/TweenMax/

yoyo : Boolean - If true, every other repeat cycle will run in the opposite direction so that the tween appears to go back and forth (forward then backward). This has no affect on the "reversed" property though. So if repeat is 2 and yoyo isfalse, it will look like: start - 1 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 3 - end. But if yoyo is true, it will look like: start - 1 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - end.

repeat : Number - Number of times that the animation should repeat after its first iteration. For example, if repeat is 1, the animation will play a total of twice (the initial play plus 1 repeat). To repeat indefinitely, use -1. repeat should always be an integer.

Does this help? :)

Hey Jonathan - thanks a lot for contributing! Truly appreciated!

There we're some wrong function call in your codepen, so I took you yoyo example, and removed un-necessary functions, which can be seen here:

See the Pen hlBoc by mrsgs (@mrsgs) on CodePen

Also added easeInOut for smoother up/down movement.

Taking one function out and re-using the same tween of the element to move up and down would surely seem to improve performance! I'll test it out in my application and see if things improves with the yoyo and repeat -1. I guess the up & down tweening can't even get shorter than that!

I am sorry about that mrsam, i corrected

See the Pen wixFp by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

If your boxes are still sluggish .. you could also add force3D:true to your tween, to help animate using hardware acceleration.

CSSPlugin:

force3D

when you set force3D:true, it forces GSAP to apply a 3D value to the element's transform, meaning matrix3d() instead of matrix(), or translate3d()instead of translate() which typically results in the browser putting that element onto its own compositor layer, making animation updates more efficient. In other words, setting force3D:true usually boosts performance, making movement more smooth. However, if you exceed the GPU's memory limit, performance will degrade, so it's not wise to force3D:true everything all the time. See http://css-tricks.com/myth-busting-css-animations-vs-javascript/ for more details. In our experience, though, it helps performance more often than not. The default value is false.

I hope this helps! :)

Jonathan > Force3D to the rescue!

I see significant approved animation now on the up & down animation - for some reason I especially noticed the sluggish animation in chrome if I took and re-sized my browser back and forward in width, then the up & down animation would "struggle". However doing that after force3D - it's still just smooth.

So far i've only forced force3D to the elements that I have more animation on - but out of curiosty - is there a way to force force3D: true pr. default so it enables on all tweens?