Search Community

animate *MAGIC SPARKLES* along a path onClick (for multiple instances)

Guest leelou
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Guest leelou

Hi there, I just downloaded GSAP and I've been checking out codepen examples. I am a novice at JS so just a heads up I may need a small amount of hand-holding at first. ;)

Maybe someone can tell me if this is possible (also with GSAP will it work on IE9+?)-

I am making a simple hidden object game where there is a list of items and the user clicks on the objects in the list. When the item is clicked, it fadesOut and strikes out the object text on the list. I've got this working with jQuery.

HERE is where I am having trouble. I want users to be able to click on the object's name of text in the list and be given a hint. That hint would consist of magic sparkles moving a long a path and circling the object and then fading away. I'll need a different path for each list item. Also, once striked out cicking the object's name for help should be disabled.

I am also trying some SVG plugins and haven't been successful for multiple paths on click yet. 

I am trying to figure out codepen for first time....so I'll try and have what I have so far available soon. 

Thanks to anyone willing to help a newb out! :)

OK! Here is the codepen link: 

See the Pen IfixC by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

This codepen from the GreenSock collection shows how to create random bezier paths for a group of elements:

See the Pen Kajpu?editors=001 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

As you can see is fairly simple, this code is the one that creates the random values for each element's bezier path:

var bezTween = new TweenMax(creature, 6, {
    bezier:{
      type:"soft", 
      values:[{setX:150, setY:300}, {setX:300, setY:-10}, {setX:500 + Math.random() *100, setY:320*Math.random() + 50}, {setX:650, setY:320*Math.random() + 50}, {setX:900, setY:-80}], 
      //autoRotate needs to know how to adjust x/y/rotation so we pass in the names of the apporpriate KineticJS methods
autoRotate:["setX","setY","setRotationDeg"]
    }, 
    ease:Linear.easeNone, autoCSS:false});

You could easily add the fade out to the sparkles without too much trouble to this. You could even create a timeline that animates the sparkles in a bezier path and add a short fade out effect that overlaps with the bezier animation using timeline's position parameter. To learn a little more on that check this blog entry:

http://greensock.com/position-parameter

Hopefully this could help you get started and let us know if you need more help.

Rodrigo.

• Like 2

Guest leelou

Thanks for replying, Rodrigo!

I took a look at the examples you offered.  The largest difference is that I need SVG specific paths for each list item, not random.

I think I have an idea on how to figure out the sparkles fading in and out. 

Guest leelou

I tried drawing it in AI but found no way to find the points necessary to enter into GSAP.  NVM. Found them.

I also tried http://www.victoriakirst.com/beziertool/ and http://matthewlein.com/ceaser/ but the numbers did not seem to match up (or there were too many of them) Is there an easier way to do this than trial and error?

Thanks

Edited by leelou

Guest leelou

How would I place a particle animation on a bezier curve and have it appear and follow the curve only onclick?

I found this codepen with an animated sprite of a butterfly: 

See the Pen DJIse by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

and this curve example: 

See the Pen tDLKI by anon (@anon) on CodePen

But how would I add something like this particle to that curve on click? (

See the Pen BpAim by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

)

Guest leelou

This is what I have so far...but the particle does not apply to the path on click. What am I missing? Thanks

See the Pen jdKIz by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! It is moving on the path! I found that I needed to have the bezier piece run first before the particle.

But it doesn't run on clicking of the button....It only runs on refreshing the pen. And ideas?

Edited by leelou

Nice work leelou.

Your button is attempting to tween the timeScale() of bezierTween to 1, but the value already is 1 (by default)

try adding this one line above your button code

bezierTween.timeScale(0)
play.onclick = function(){
  TweenLite.to(bezierTween, 1, {timeScale:1});
  TweenLite.to(TextTween, 1, {timeScale:1});
};

Guest leelou

Oh, YAY! Thank you!

The button is working on click now and I am hiding and then showing the sparkles before and after click. But, how do I make it fade away once it has completed animating along a path? I need it to be display: none (or completely removed from area).

I was looking in the docs and found onComplete but I must be implementing it wrong because I just keep breaking it.

Some that I tried (line 19 of JS in codepen):

onComplete:function(){$(".dot").remove();
onComplete:function(){$(".dot").hide();

This last one hides it but at the beginning...

bezierTween.timeScale(0)
play.onclick = function(){
  $(".dot").show();
  TweenLite.to(bezierTween, 1, {timeScale:1, onComplete:function(){$(".dot").hide();}});
};

See the Pen jdKIz by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

Guest leelou

Also trying to get multiple paths working...

See the Pen KyoBe by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

Once I make changes to this block of code (swapping out "dot" for "dot2") I lose the yellow sparkles on path one and if I swap out dot for dot 2 here then I only get red sparkles:

for (var i = dotQuantity - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
  dot = document.createElement("div");
  dot.className = "dot";
  TweenLite.set(dot, { xPercent:-50, yPercent:-50, force3D:true });
  document.body.appendChild(dot);
  dotPool[i] = dot;
}

Hi,

Nice job, looks really great!!

The issue is that you have the same variables names after each emitter explosion function:

//at line 44
var explosion = new TimelineMax({ repeat: -1 }).call(shootDot, [emitter], null, 2 / dotQuantity);

//at line 128
var explosion = new TimelineMax({ repeat: -1 }).call(shootDot, [emitter2], null, 2 / dotQuantity);

Therefore when you call explosion on the first button (yellow sparkles) only the bezier tween happens and there's no particles coming out of the emitter and when you click the second button only red particles come out, also you're instantiating the shootDot function twice as well, so this might be the cause of that issue.

Finally you're creating the dotPool array twice, that means that the array gets populated during the first loop but later in your code it's emptied when you do this:

//at line 109
dotPool = []

My advice would be to create a single shootDot() function that accepts the emitter and dot class in order to simplify your code and create all your variables at the top of your code.

Guest leelou

I am having trouble simplifying the code. I just wanted to let you know I saw your comment. I am just hung up. Advice is always welcome! 

See the Pen KyoBe by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

(i removed what I had done to try and simplify since it was broken.. :P)

How do you make the animation fade out after it completes the path (onComplete?)?

Guest leelou

I am using an Adobe Illustrator extension called "Drawscript" (http://drawscri.pt/) to get the bezier points but it is not aligning properly. It goes along the top AND bottom. Which it should just have one sparkle animated along the path and  come up from about 23px from bottom and then go up and wrap around the red square. It is showing the movement from the left of the canvas...

Is there a way to set a starting point? Maybe that would help. But then, why is it reflected at the top? 

Here is what I am getting for the path in AI with "Javascript Canvas" option. I'm plugging the "bezierCurveTo" numbers into the path coords but it is off.

lineStyle="rgb(0,0,0)";
lineWidth=3;
beginPath();
moveTo(722,23);
bezierCurveTo(722,23,507,-322,507,-396);
bezierCurveTo(507,-470,645,-498,645,-405);
bezierCurveTo(645,-296,569,-332,569,-332);
stroke();

Here is a pen: 

See the Pen FcgGC by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

Wow. Both the Drawscript to GSAP Bezier Converter and the SVG/Snap examples are awesome. thanks.

I am going to give the SVG/Snap a go

Hi,

Also keep in mind that the Snap SVG feature is not completely necessary on production, you can simply use it in development to get the points for the bezier plugin and avoid loading the extra KB on the finished site/app.

In this codepen there's a simple example of how you can get the points for the bezier plugin in order to copy/paste them:

See the Pen 29ddf037aabd2d8fe9adb6f31b081660 by rhernando (@rhernando) on CodePen

Keep in mind though to remove the last coma of the text.

• Like 1

So I tried the Drawscript converter/GSAP bezier and if you scroll during the animation it moves the path around and doesn't circle my target. Is that going to happen with the SVG/Snap one too? Or is there a way to fix it? I need the path to always be accurate and go to target. It also starts at the top and loops to bottom and then goes to target. It should start at bottom. Here is my pen: 

See the Pen cuJKL by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

Going to try Snap out and see if I get better results. Thanks for the tips!

Ok, so I have made a fork pen of the SVG/Snap example and made my own path. And it was working fine but as soon as I tried to add the "emitter" dive with the sparkles it jumped off the path? and the sparkles aren't working. 

Here is the pen: 

See the Pen iGsrb?editors=011 by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

Would you mind taking a look? Will the particle/emitter work on a path? I'd prefer it but maybe I should do a sprite *sigh*

In your CSS you have lies the cause of the issue:

#emitter {
  background-color: green;
  width: 30px;
  height: 30px; 
  border-radius: 50%;
  position: absolute;
  top: 0;
  left:180px; /**because the bezier path is off somehow...**/
}

The left property has a value of 180, once you remove it it works.

herpaderp!  thanks I was looking in the wrong place.

That was an adjustment from the previous test(Drawscript converter/GSAP bezier) that I forked for this one. 

Ok, using the SVG/Snap example I have successfully fixed the sparkles to travel upon the path on click but I have not been able to get multiple paths going.

Would you please show me how to simplify this so I can have multiple buttons where each one, on click, starts a dot with sparkles on a unique path?

I am having trouble making the variables work, especially with the array (I am still learning JS).

Here is the pen with the single path working: 

See the Pen kEseb?editors=011 by leelou (@leelou) on CodePen

I will continue to try on a fork of the pen.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Leelou,

You should feel good about accomplishing quite a bit with this task.

I have to commend Rodrigo for offering so much help.

We really have to stay focused on the GSAP API so that everyone gets the help they need. 

Making code more modular and re-usable can involve quite a time investment, especially for an example like this with so many moving parts.

When learning I would recommend taking much smaller bites. There is a lot of code in this example to get lost in. My approach would be something more along the lines of "I want to dynamically create 6 different buttons and when I press each a unique word is displayed"... something like that. Particle systems and bezier  tweens along SVG paths requires a lot of "code overhead" that can obscure the key concepts and code structures needed for something like this.

• Like 2