Search Community

Draggable demo not working in MSIE8

martinambrus test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi guys,

just been testing cross-browser compatibility of Draggable via its demo page (http://greensock.com/draggable) and found out that it does not run on MSIE8 under WIndows 7 (in a Virtual Machine downloaded from https://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools). It gives out the classic "Object does not support this property or method" and Codepen obviously won't work in MSIE8 at all, so I can't test it there.

I know that this whole thing should be compatible with MSIE7+ from what I read, so I'm a bit confused now.

Any advice please?

Thanks,

Martin

• Solution

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

Thanks for reporting the issue. To test Draggable in IE8 you can visit a CodePen demo in a modern browser and chose the "full page" view. That will give you a url that will run in IE8

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/full/zDwEk/

I just tested that in IE8 running on a windows7 vm (not a newer IE simulating IE8's rendering mode), so it should be good to go.

As for the demo not working on our site, that appears to be related to other code. It simply wasn't worth sinking tons of hours into making our site IE8 compatible as the number of IE8 visitors that we have is virtually non-existent. And although the core of GSAP and all major plugins work in IE8 we rarely bother worrying about our demos running in IE8 as MicroSoft has officially stopped supporting it. 

If you ever need clarification on whether or nota GSAP tool or feature will or should run in IE8, please don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Sorry I didn't reread myself.

On a real windows7 with ie8:

The codepen example doesn't work but the demo on the greensock site work.

When I say "work" I mean that I can drag the boxes.

Thank you for you help

Hi Helo,

Sorry for the confusion. I dug a little deeper and the code on our Draggable page and the code in the CodePen demo is NOT the same. In other words, the pen is not embedded on our site, it is only using similar code. I think the CodePen page may be doing something different with jQuery and events in the UI. 

Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment to dig into IE8 issues in our old demos. The good news though is that if you are seeing something work on our site in IE8 you can have confidence that it does work.