Search Community

Delayed call interval passing itself into paremter

icraft-websites test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by jamiejefferson,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey there, I'm trying to create a repeating delayedCall to countdown 45 second and wish to pass itself ('this') into the parameter. But when I hit the barTimer.restart(true); call it gives me undefined error. Do I have to declare the delayed Call as an variable so that it can be passed as a parameter?

function pre_baserate_loading() {
    var loadingText = ['Searching Similar Preferences.', 'Retrieving Products Purchased.', 'Examining Real-World Experiences.',                 'Eliminating Inadequate Products.', 'Retrieving Results.' , 'Codifying Results.'];
    var textLength = loadingText.length;
    var count = 1;
    var duration = 45;
    var barTimer = TweenMax.delayedCall(duration / textLength, updateLoadingBar, [count, barTimer, textLength, loadingTextr]);
}

function updateLoadingBar(count, timer, textLength, loadingText) {
    if (count >= textLength) {
        timer.kill();
        timer = null;
    } else {
        count++;
        if (timer) {
            timer.restart(true);
        }
    }
}

Hi,

What you're missing is scope. Basically you're passing a private variable to another function where there's no scope for that variable, therefore it returns an error indicating that can't use the restart method in an undefined element. This is solved by passing the variable's name as the scope for the callback:

var loadingText = ['Searching Similar Preferences.', 'Retrieving Products Purchased.', 'Examining Real-World Experiences.',                 'Eliminating Inadequate Products.', 'Retrieving Results.' , 'Codifying Results.'];
    var count = 1;
    var duration = 45;
    var barTimer = TweenMax.delayedCall(duration / textLength, updateLoadingBar, [count, barTimer, textLength, loadingTextr], barTimer);
}

function updateLoadingBar(count, timer, textLength, loadingText) {
        this.kill();
        this = null;
    } else {
        count++;
        if (this) {
            this.restart(true);
        }
    }
}

Like that in the callback being executed by the delayedCall(), the variable becomes "this"

Check the API reference:

http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/GSAP/TweenLite/delayedCall/

Live sample:

See the Pen GHEDb?editors=001 by rhernando (@rhernando) on CodePen

Rodrigo.

• Solution

Actually I think the issue here is that you're trying to pass the barTimer variable into the function that creates it... You'll find that barTimer is undefined until the delayCall has been created, so it won't work that way.

See the Pen xkLji?editors=001 by jamiejefferson (@jamiejefferson) on CodePen

By default, the scope is already the tween/delayedCall so you can already just reference it with this i.e.

var loadingText = ['Searching Similar Preferences.', 'Retrieving Products Purchased.', 'Examining Real-World Experiences.',                 'Eliminating Inadequate Products.', 'Retrieving Results.' , 'Codifying Results.'];
    var count = 1;
    var duration = 45;
    var barTimer = TweenMax.delayedCall(duration / textLength, updateLoadingBar, [count, textLength, loadingTextr]);
}

function updateLoadingBar(count, textLength, loadingText) {
        this.kill();
        this = null;
    } else {
        count++;
        if (this) {
            this.restart(true);
        }
    }
}

Alternatively, GSAP allows you to pass a reference to the tween/delayedCall as a parameter using the string "{self}", like this:

TweenMax.delayedCall(duration / textLength, updateLoadingBar, [count, "{self}", textLength, loadingTextr]);

parameter 2 will be the tween/delayedCall as you were hoping for.

• Like 1