Search Community

Animate around a point

alint test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello,

I would like to animate an image that moves left/right/left/right around a center point, rotating 3-5 degrees. To be more specific, I would like to animate the top part of a Law Balance scale. (http://www.unc.edu/depts/europe/newsletter/images/101117balance-law.jpg)

We purchased a Green membership of Club GreenSock thinking that we can use the TransformAroundPoint for this. It seems like TransformAroundPoint it is not available for JS. Am I right?

Is there any other way to create the above animation?

Thank you.

Alin

Hello alint, and Welcome to the GreenSock Forums!

You can try and use the CSS property transform-origin. In GSAP it would be written as transformOrigin.

simple rotate around point:

See the Pen imEzI by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

My example uses the default transform-origin of 50% 50% 0  (x y z). But you can try different values to accomplish different transform-origins.

var $circle = document.getElementById("circle"),
TweenMax.to($circle, 4, {
  transformOrigin: "50% 50% 0", // try testing different values
  rotation:360,
  force3D:true                      
});

Here is a more complex example by GreenSock that animates Ferris wheel cars around a Ferris wheel.

See the Pen wBbKs by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Does that help? :)

• Like 1

Yes there is no plugin for Javascript here. Luckily! there already exists a transformOrigin property in CSS, so you just use that to set a transform point.

e.g.

TweenLite.set(foo, { transformOrigin: "50% 20px" }); // only needs to be set once for an element
TweenMax.fromTo(foo, 1, { rotation: -20 }, { rotation: 20, repeat: -1, yoyo: true });
Edited by jamiejefferson
I'm such a slow typist....
  • Like 1