Search Community

How can I run image frames without animations?

Michael Heuberger test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I am trying to run a short movie of background images without any animations between these. The code below does not work. Any ideas why?

var frameHeight = 585

var timeline = new TimelineMax({useFrames: true}),
i

for (i = 0; i < 9; i++) {
timeline.append(TweenMax.to(
'#spark h1 a',
{
backgroundPosition: 'center -' + (frameHeight * i) + 'px',
useFrames: true,
frame: i
}
))
}

this.addScene(new ScrollScene({
triggerHook: .5,
triggerElement: this.getID(),
duration: 400
})
.setTween(timeline)
)

Thanks!

Hi Michael,

Mhh is hard to tell, I've never use frames unless is totally necessary (haven't met a scenario that made it necessary yet :P).

What you could do is use some set instances and add those to the timeline in an absolute position using the i value in the loop, something like this:

var timeline = new TimelineMax({useFrames: true});

for (i = 0; i < 9; i++)
{
timeline
  .set('#spark h1 a', {backgroundPosition: 'center -' + (frameHeight * i) + 'px'}, i);
}

Like that the first image will be added to the frame 0 of the timeline, the second image to frame 1 and so on.

It would be very helpful if you could set up a simple codepen in order to get a better look at what could be the issue.

Rodrigo.

• Like 2

That will depend of between what. If you want separation between each frame, all you have to do is multiply the instance's position in the timeline by a fix amount. For example if you multiply by 2, the first image will be at 0 frames, the next at 2 frames, then 4, 6, 8, etc., if you multiply by 3 it will be 0-3-6-9, etc.

var timeline = new TimelineMax({useFrames: true}),
    delay = 3;

for (i = 0; i < 9; i++)
{
timeline
  .set('#spark h1 a', {backgroundPosition: 'center -' + (frameHeight * i) + 'px'}, i*delay);
}

If you want to add some delay between repeats of the timeline, simply add the repeatDelay property in the timeline's configuration object. You'll also need to add a number of replays as well:

//in this case the repeat delay is considering frames, not seconds
var timeline = new TimelineMax({useFrames: true, repeat:3, repeatDelay:10});

for (i = 0; i < 9; i++)
{
timeline
  .set('#spark h1 a', {backgroundPosition: 'center -' + (frameHeight * i) + 'px'}, i);
}

Rodrigo.

• Like 1

Rodrigo's advice to put a bunch of set's in a timeline is certainly powerful and flexible.

If you have a single strip of images (not a grid), a tween with SteppedEase can do the trick:

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/vLFmd

And although the demo doesn't show it, you could of course add that tween to Timeline or make it TweenMax tween to accommodate repeat and repeatDelay.

SteppedEase Docs

• Like 1